Health and Safety
This Health and Safety Statement of Intent, in accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 (HSWA) outlines the policy of PJF Limited to the management of health and safety at work.
Management is committed to ensuring that health and safety will be integral to, and equal with any other business function. This value is shared throughout the company. This enables us to meet our objective of managing and conducting our work activities in such a way as to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the safety, health and welfare at work of our workers and others who may be affected by our business activities.
In demonstrating management’s duty of care, we will take all practical steps to provide a working environment that minimises incidents of risk or personal injury, ill health or damage to property.
We take a whole of business approach to health and safety, including worker attitudes and workplace culture. PJF Limited is committed to:
- Striving to reduce the number of work-related injuries due to incidents that occur during work activities.
- Complying with relevant legislation, regulations, guidelines, codes of practice and safe operating procedures.
- Including and promoting health and safety practices throughout all areas of work and regularly monitoring and reviewing systems for continual improvement purposes.
- Insisting and encouraging worker participation in all matters relating to health and safety in the workplace.
- Motivating all those involved with our work to contribute to an improved health and safety performance.
- Maintaining a zero tolerance to Drugs and Alcohol during work hours and providing a system to identify and deal with potential safety issues due to drug and alcohol use.
- Providing well-maintained plant and equipment.
- Providing ongoing training at all levels to ensure all workers are able to work in a safe and professional manner at all times.
- Actively encouraging the early reporting of any pain or discomfort.
- Insisting on accurate, time reporting and recording of all accidents, incidents, and unsafe conditions.
- Investigating reported accidents, incidents, and unsafe conditions and taking corrective action.
- Supporting workers who have experienced work and non-work related injuries in their safe and early return to work, seeking specialist advice where necessary.
WHAT WE ACTUALLY DO
In minimizing the risk and to ensure a safe and healthy work environment, PJF Services take the following actions:
- Our belief in the continual improvement of our systems and processes assists us in meeting our health & safety objectives
- Health and safety is a standard item on the agenda for monthly management meetings
- Weekly toolbox meetings are held at each site to discuss any health and safety issues, site-specific hazards, etc. Staff access an electronic checklist to assist in maintaining a safe site
- Health and safety training requirements are identified and reviewed in each employee’s annual performance review. This ensures that training and qualifications (First Aid, SiteSafe, EWP, Harness Training, etc) are kept current and relevant to job (and client) requirements
- Our health & safety manual policy is audited annually with specific items such as fire evacuation practice audited every 2 months and hazard identification daily
- PJF actively complies with all relevant legislation, local laws and by-laws, codes of practice and New Zealand standards
To lead the market with a professional highly trained and well-presented surface maintenance company which provides property owners, occupiers, and managers who serve people with an all-encompassing property care service.
PJF recognizes that quality is achieved by excellent and innovative service through a process of control and systems. Staff members are to be familiar with the Quality Management System (QMS) and are to carry out their duties in a controlled and professional manner in compliance with the QMS. Field-based staff are trained and inducted in the use of technology to control quality on sites.
- Provision of a service that meets customer’s stated and perceived needs
- Follow up and confirmation that the needs have been met.
- Problems monitored and a log kept for review
- Working with suppliers to ensure that information, components or raw materials are of the required standard
- Timely provision of specifications, schedules, and scope of work
- Products meet the specifications
- The service functions correctly
- Production activities delegated to the subcontractors operate as planned
- The use of Improvement and Remedial Action process.
- Statistical records maintained and reviewed by senior management
- Timeline targets set at and reviewed. In the event of a delay, the reasons are discussed and the appropriate actions were taken
As a national commercial painting services provider, PJF recognizes that wherever it has operations or provides services, it has a responsibility to both people and the environment, to minimize any adverse effects of its provision of services, PJF will take all reasonable steps to ensure compliance with all relevant environmental legislation.
During the last 40 years of delivering these services, PJF has successfully achieved reductions in environmental impacts in its service delivery in the following ways:
- A unique trade waste management system that recycles water
- Use of LOW VOC products
- Containment of hazardous materials
- Use of sustainable products and equipment to minimize impacts on the environment